The holidays are a tempting time for the little ones in your house — all those interesting new things to touch and taste. That’s why it’s important to take extra precautions.
- Avoid putting tinsel or popcorn on your tree — it looks fun to eat.
- Don’t leave edible gifts under the tree, where they are easy for pets to discover.
- Place small breakable ornaments high on the tree, out of reach
- Don’t put edible gifts in stockings near a fireplace — that’s a disaster waiting to happen.
- Mistletoe, poinsettas and holly are toxic, so find a safe substitute.
- When opening gifts, dispose of plastic wrapping, bows and ribbons quickly — they too look like they would be fun to eat.
- Don’t throw wrappings or packaging into the fireplace — some of it burns very rapidly, almost explosively — same goes for Christmas tree branches.
- Place candles out of reach and away from combustibles. Extinguish them when they are unattended and remember — hot wax burns.
- Don’t let your pets drink the water the tree is sitting in.
- Don’t feed pets chocolate, candies or cookie!
Courtesy of Sears Brands